The Château de Saint Brisson sur Loire was a massive and exceptional fortress with curtain walls 20 metres high and 4.5 metres thick.
Strategically located, it overlooked the Loire and was at the end of the Berry province, not far from the Orléans and Burgundy regions. This branch of the river has since been drained for the
construction of the Canal Latéral de la Loire (see below the illustration made in 1600 showing the Loire just in front of the castle).
The history of the castle goes back to 1061 when we find traces of its existence in the texts with its lord, Robert de Saint Brisson. In 1135, Louis VI, known as Louis le Gros, King
of France, besieged the castle and ruined it. Indeed, its owner at the time took advantage of the location of his fortress to plunder merchants and travellers who passed through.
Following this, the castle came into the possession of the Counts of Sancerre until 1290 and was rebuilt. It then passed into the hands of the de Nevers and then into the hands of the Seguier
family in 1567. The Seguiers decided to turn it into a residential castle rather than a fortress. The building underwent many transformations for this purpose.
During the Revolution, in 1793, almost half of the castle was demolished.
In the 19th century, the castle was refurbished and modernised.
The last descendant of the Saint-Brisson family donated the castle, which was in a poor state of repair, to the town hall of Saint-Brisson in 1987. The outbuildings were then sold and the castle
returned to private ownership in 2015 when it was sold to the Société "Tous au Château", which undertook to keep it open to the public.